Podcast

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Top 5 Video Game Podcasts


In 2008 I purchased a much hyped $250 device that promised to keep me company on long track and field trips. It was a black iPod with 160gb of space. This was the moment I really started listening to music. I was now free from carrying scratched up burnt cds with no identifier. I could now go from Kanye West to All-American Rejects with a couple circular motions of my thumb. I could now create playlists on the go! But little did I know, this device was also going to introduce me to podcasts.

Seven years later and I love podcasts just as much as video games. In fact, podcasts have enhanced my video game experience and vice versa.

I started Dear Backlog so that I could have a space to share both of these loves with you! I hope you’ve enjoyed our shenanigans thus far, but I’d also like to point you in the direction of some of the podcasts that inspired us. Here are my top 5 favorite podcasts: the ones I listen to the most and the ones we aspire to be like.


rebelfmitunescover294x294.jpg

I’m at the point where Arthur Gies, Matt Chandronait, and Anthony Gallegos feel like family. I will shed tears if this podcast ever ends. The cast is consistent about playing a new game during their busy week so that they have something new to talk about. Since they’re all ex-1up and EGM staff, their opinions are critical and fair. Their rapport is great and while this is the best gaming podcast out there, they never take it too seriously. Occasionally they’ll share relationship advice and introduce you to your next favorite musical artist during their breaks. My favorite moments are when they poke fun at each other; you can hear the love.

Best for: Friday nights when you’re feeling lonely


cover170x170.jpeg

CheapAssGamer’s podcast is formulaic and that’s one of the reasons it’s awesome! It starts out with the cast talking about what they’re currently playing, then goes on to new releases, and closes out with letters from the community with life events sprinkled throughout. These guys make content for the industry, but their success is owed to having the closest perspective to how consumers feel. They’re critical, but they have no reason to pull their punches like other podcasters may need to.

Best for: video game collectors, gamers with families


beyonditunescover170x170.jpg

“Beyond!” This iconic battle cry is all you’ll need to feel right at home whether you’ve been listening from the beginning or are just tuning in. IGN’s own Playstation Podcast has been running for over 300 episodes. Beyond has succeeded by having meaningful dialogue with their community rather than just taking a few email questions here and there. They’re famous for having meet and greets and live podcasts at various video game events. Even though the podcast focuses on everything Playstation, I find that Beyond is entertaining and insightful regardless of where your allegiances lie.

best for: playstation gamers, people who want to interact with the podcast crew and community


8-4playitunescover170x170.jpg

This podcast is born and bred in Japan so if a new Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter comes out, you can guarantee they’ll have in depth conversations about it! The crew consists of industry veterans that now work on localization of Japanese games. Their opinions are sometimes biased and that’s what makes this a great podcast. They’re not afraid to praise your favorite JRPG even when it’s flawed.

best for: people who love Japanese games


bombcastitunescover170x170.jpg

This podcast lives off of random tangents and comedy. While all the podcasts I mentioned already are funny at times, this one will definitely have you smiling every five minutes or so. Most podcasts aim for concise one-hour episodes, but the Bombcast has no rules! For example, at the end of each year, they do a Game of the Year podcast series that lasts a week. After it’s all said and done, they end up sharing ten or more hours of free content about the best video games of the year with us!

best for: people who want three hour podcasts


This is my top 5, but our hope at Dear Backlog is that you find your perfect fit and go on to make your own personal ranking based on what you value. With that being said, we’d love for our community to share suggestions in the comments. We'd especially appreciate podcasts where other gender's voices are represented. Thank you!

Derrick B @drockalexander

Dear Backlog @dearbacklog

No comments:

Post a Comment