Podcast

Sunday, December 9, 2012

LEGO The Lord of the Rings PS3 Demo Review 10/10

Just to be clear, I am a huge fan of both the Lord of the Rings series and Lego games. That being said I’d like to think that I can put my franchise bias aside and give an impartial review for this game’s demo. Although, I don’t think that my bias should be an issue in this case because this demo was pretty amazing.

The segment of the game provided for play here was the Battle of Helm’s Deep as seen in the Two Towers movie featuring the original voice work from the movie to boot. So after a short cinematic from the film, done in Lego style with humorous details added, you are thrown into the beginning of the epic battle with the legendary trio of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Right away you are directed to use the characters various unique abilities and new inventories that make each character different and useful to game play. For instance, Gimili’s axe can be used to shatter cracked slabs of stone and Legolas can use his bow to shoot at targets from afar to trigger switches or you can switch to his dual daggers for a more personal approach to combat. And quite possibly best of all, you soon discover Aragorn’s special ability to toss Gimili the Dwarf at your enemies and puzzle switches alike!

This brings me to combat, which in my opinion, has always been the Lego series most lackluster aspect. This was my first concern when the demo started up in a huge battle scene. My doubts were soon put to rest as the combat in this game while still not hack-n’-slash caliber, was fun and even challenging at times. The fight has your characters in a struggle against incoming siege ladders that you must knock down by using all three characters unique skills all the while fighting the Orcs that slip by. Then, just as in the movie, when the battle seems most hopeless, Aragorn and the King Theoden saddle up and ride out to meet the oncoming horde. This puts the players in control of the riders and their horses as they charge through the legions of orcs that mass outside the walls where you slash at your foes while hitting targets to collect more Lego coins. Then in epic cinematic style, Gandalf and the Riders of Rohan ride into the valley to secure victory for the besieged heroes. Obviously this portion of the demo might come as a spoiler to anyone who knows absolutely nothing about the Lord of the Rings franchise, but such a person likely doesn’t have any interest in this game anyway.

           When the demo concludes, you are shown a quick screen tempting you to run out and immediately purchase the game with various facts and features of the full game; which admittedly, I was very tempted to run out and immediately purchase. In addition, unlike many horrible demos, I did not feel the game was pressuring me annoyingly to buy the game and at least it didn’t just fade to black while I was still trying to play it. (Yeah, I’m talking to you, Tony Hawk.) Then the game gracefully goes back to the main menu where you may succumb to the desire to press start and do it all over again.

Final verdict: 10/10 (theres the bias). I was already going to buy this game before I played this demo so I can’t say whether or not it would have persuaded me either way. That being said, playing this demo has moved this game up on my list of priorities. So if you’re at all a Lego or Lord of the Rings fan or if you’re looking for a fun game to play, que up this demo. It's a short download and a fun and epic ride.

-Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment