Podcast

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Xbox 360 Demo Review 8/10

Over the last decade, Sega hasn’t been able to get a regular Sonic game right, but every time they make an All-Stars game they win gold. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed looks to follow this new tradition. The Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Demo is a straight to the fun test drive that gives the nostalgic arcade racer a new game to get excited about.

Most critics nowadays don’t like “Sonic” games, but that doesn’t mean they don’t like Sonic and the cast of characters that follow him around. The first thing you’ll notice about this demo is the way it takes full advantage of not only the flagship hedgehog IP, but also every other IP Sega has. Every course seems to be tailored after a specific Sega game world. In the demo you get to race on a Panzer Dragoon course and a Golden Axe course. I doubt fans of those games will be drawn to this game just because of a course or character from their favorite game, but regardless it really infuses the world of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed with unique backdrop and characters. Just like Mario Kart draws from its lush Nintendo library, Sega does the same with equal or dare I say better success.

Just like any great arcade racer you remember continuing countless times, this one follows the same formula. I’ve already said how the roster and courses harken back to the old days. It seems everything else does too. When you first start the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Demo you’re met with an intense cut scene of the cast racing with power-ups and flashy colors accompanied by a zany instrumental. The colors jump out from the screen and at first, just like the music, it seems to be too much. After playing the demo for about 5 minutes, you quickly realize the whole game seems too much, but then you’re overpowered by the nostalgia of the game, and just as quickly, you buckle yourself in.

In the demo they give you unlimited access to a regular race and a time trial, either of which can be played on an easy, medium, or hard difficulty. These are perfect for a demo, though I found the time trial to be too difficult even on easy. I finally beat the time trial on easy when after about ten tries I found out that you basically had to take the shortcut. I hope that doesn’t continue in the rest of the game.

There was a redeeming factor that could have helped me overcome this challenge that should be looked into further for the full game. In Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed you can level up your characters after gaining experience in the races. I’m guessing that if I would have leveled up in the full game, I would have been able to beat this time trial easier. They don’t give you the ability to toy with the character growth mechanic in the demo, but I hope they put enough depth into it so the game can have even more mileage than it already seems to have.

The racing in the game is basically a carbon copy of Mario Kart. I’m not saying that in a particularly bad way, because they do it well and it’s fun. The way Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed attempts to differentiate itself is in the automatic transformation of your vehicles. This does give the game a distinct flare as you’re forced to adjust on the fly. I’m curious as to how this gameplay mechanic will pan out in competitive multiplayer. I was good at driving all the vehicle types except the planes, and someone may be able to edge me out in a race because of this.

At the end of the demo when I tried to exit the game, I was forced to watch a trailer I already voluntarily watched no more than 30 seconds prior. When demos make you do anything like that, it’s always an annoyance, though a small one.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Demo clocks in at an 8/10. It’s a solid demo that does the trick by simply offering you fun. If you’re into arcade racers, the Sega Brand, or just having a good time, then Sega All-Star Racing Transformed is definitely worth the download.

After playing the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Demo, sadly, I would not buy the game. The demo is great, but essentially we have played this game before. I would recommend it to die-hard arcade racing fans, but with a backlog like we have, it’s a pretty easy pass.

I would buy this game if it was $15 and I had a child who I could play alongside with. At this point in my life, I have neither of those.

-lvl 99

No comments:

Post a Comment